Friday, January 22, 2016

Unit 6 Reflection

In Unit 6, we learned about biotechnology and how there were many different uses of it in the world. There is industrial biotech which is like mass production of GMOs, like food or fermented substances. Another biotech field is medical biotech, which is the production medicine and antibiotics. There is diagnostic biotech that is more related to DNA and comparing organisms. And there is Agricultural biotech, which deals with breeding of plants and animals and makes transgeneic organisms.When there are such advances in the field of biotechnonlogy, there will come many questions of morals. Things like cloning and changing genes are debated in the world today. My weaknesses were understanding gel electrophoresis and my strengths were remembering the types of fields in biotechnology. But after the experiment, I grasped the idea of gel electrophoresis a lot better.  
In class, we did a candy gel electrophoresis experiment (http://rachelbsciblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/candy-electrophoresis-lab.html?m=1) and a pGLO lab ( http://rachelbsciblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/pglo-lab.html?m=1) with bacteria. I learned about what the experiments really looked like rather than justbreading about them and how long they take with the different steps. 
I want to learn more about the different bioethical topics because I found it interesting to see what could benefit mankind. With such new technologies being made, there should be a lot of changes in the future. I wonder about what will be made in the next 20 years that will change our lives. 
My New Years goals are coming along pretty well. I have began studying Sunday for the test on Wednesday and prepared the study outline for the week. Also my goal of watching less TV has been working but mainly because I've been so busy that I don't even have time. Hopefully I can keep up this habit for the rest of the semester and read more books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment